Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pretty Proud...


School Fun Run. 
I used to hate those words. 

Last year was a bit of a asthma-induced-aspbergers meltdown experience for Max.  Try luring a first grade kid in that state to come to the fence to get his asthma medicine from you because you aren't allowed inside. (I had Jonas and Ali with me so I was told "They're a liability. You can't go in." ARGH!). It was so bad, the parents around me cleared out to avoid the awkwardness of not knowing what to say about that train wreck.

As you can imagine, when this year's race was coming, I was on high-alert.

Max and I had a few conversations about the "Trick about Running"... aka: You hold back at the beginning and see how your body feels as you move forward.  You do NOT start at your max speed...  I thought it was just another "Mom lecture", but then...

You see that boy there in the red?  Do you know that is 26 minutes into the race and he had not stopped once?  Do you know he had the highest numbers of laps in his class?  That boy rocked that race.  While the rest of the second graders were walking, or dashing then walking, Max jogged consistently until time was called.  Not only that, but he did it with a GREAT attitude.  He'd jog by others and say "You're doing a great job!  We're all winners!"  and give big thumbs up.

Wow.  Just when you think you know a person.  What a treat as a mom to be blown out of the water and learn how capable this child is of focusing and "doing hard things".  It was such a pleasure to be there.

Yep, I'm a pretty proud (and immensely grateful!) mama. Way to go Max! Love these kinds of moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment