Friday, November 16, 2012

Some Days Are Better Than Others...

First-world problems are really lame, I know.  And I know:

“No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse.”― Jeffrey R. Holland


But maybe I don't feel better until a little whining escapes.  And since my blog went private, this is probably one of the quietest spots in the cyber world to go ahead and let it out...

Today has not been stellar.  I skipped my morning run to be home to help my brother and sister-in-law out the door for their Disney trip.  In doing so, I made a quick trip to the store for a few items for them (in glasses, no make-up, and hair up in a completely unromantic bun... no, not the cute sloppy ones-   the "I do this when I shower so it doesn't all get wet" fashion. I only mention this because people treat you so differently when you look like a scrounge vs. dolled up for the day... ).  I was in a hurry to get back to the house so when I was backing up out of my parking spot, I disregarded the honking car down the isle who I assumed was mad because he had to wait for me to finish backing out.  

Until I heard the crunch.  

Yep, apparently while my eyes were on that car down the isle I thought was honking at me, I was completely missing the guy who was actually behind me. Ulgh.

The timing is almost comical.  I've been waiting three years for a similar accident to fall off my record... and those three years were up at the end of this insurance cycle (backed into a black car parked at night on a street with no lights-- it was not possible to see and had been hit there several times!). Lest you think I don't look behind me when I back up-- I really do!  Apparently, I just have a blind spot that appears every three years...

I gave the guy my insurance information and told him we would be interested in probably paying out of pocket for the repair.  He left and immediately called insurance to make the claim.  Ulgh.  I should've worn some make-up today.  Pretty (I'm taking liberties here) crying women are a lot more mercy-inducing than sniveling homeless looking ones. 

This times out at the same time that our kitchen sink has been out of commission (we are on day 5 here... dying) because of an issue with the piping.  Almost every dish in my house lays dirty on the counter or in the sink.  The plumber didn't keep his appointment.  

Meanwhile, I let the kids have friends over for a couple hours after school.  I spent the time as referee between the older ones and the younger ones.  Afterwards, my friend picked up her kids and I learned that I had apparently missed a Parents-come-show-you-love-your-child-by-coming-to-lunch-today-and-only-the-highly-deprived-unloved-children-will-be-left-standing-without-a-McDonald's-happymeal day at school.  THERE WAS NO FLYER ABOUT THIS.  No phone call (this is the school that calls three times to tell you about the change in the fire drill). I felt awful.


If I didn't already feel like a failure for raising our insurance rates, I sure felt like a failure for leaving my 2nd grader sitting alone today (although he says he sat with some other friends whose parents weren't there... I don't think the teacher sent the flyer home... but maybe I genuinely missed it.  That could happen too.).

A hole suddenly appeared in our other bathroom sink as well.  I was hearing money flush down the drain all day today.  Ulgh.

Top it off with PMS, and I was feeling like the queen of losers.






But then I went to a Stake camp meeting.  The ladies there are awesome and I felt a little more human.  And I called my big brother and literally BAWLED my eyes out-- and he told me I was doing a good job, to let the claim go through insurance, and that he understood and "This Too Shall Pass", oh- and that he loved me. My friend brought pizza over with salad and cookies when she picked up her kids. Then I found a bundle of love notes nested under some flowers on my kitchen table from my perfect Glenn and sweet, sweet children. And to top it off, Glenn even bought me fresh Hostess Cupcakes (oh, my heart swoons... I dream I'm eating Hostess cupcakes at night on fast Sundays. I . Love. Them.)

And you know what-- my day got a lot better.  I ended the day feeling more in love with Glenn than ever.  I felt a rush of gratitude for family that catches you when you fall on a rough day (even for stupid things like backing into a car in the parking lot)- and the world felt a lot brighter and lighter.  If ever I had a testimony of family, it was yesterday when I learned that aside from really liking them,  I really need them too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my friend, today must have been a full moon because my day was not so great either. But not as expensive as your day was....I'm so sorry! I am grateful for the Lord's tender mercies and it sounds like you received a few tonight. I just was remembering that horrible Valentine's day (when you went and donated blood on campus to be sweet and then....). Now it is funny since it is in the past (it's funny right?) ;) So glad you have sweet kids and a wonderful husband who will still be there giving you hugs and kisses at the end of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear Kristen! Rough days are so deflating. So glad that it ended well, despite the rough start. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am months and months late on offering any encouragement whatsoever, but I just really, really love your honesty and perspective. Plus it's nice to know that none of us crazies are alone in the whirlwind of life. So thanks for the honesty and perspective, friend. I certainly expect and hope things are looking up by now. And if they're not...complain away.

    ReplyDelete