Wednesday, March 7, 2012

He dreams...

We have a dear friend who professionally trains company employees for better collaborative work.  As part of the training, they do personality tests and categorizing.  Normally, I am against that- we are all a rainbow of personality traits, I don't like boiling it down to two main traits.  However, I have learned a LOT about myself and others as we've discussed personalities.
He is winning me over on this one!


One of the main things I have learned is that I have a classic "dreamer" on my hands in Jonas.  This isn't a bad thing-- not at all.  As a matter of fact, I am immensely charmed by it (it has its downfalls... especially when you want to hurry, or need him to focus on boring things... but overall it is wonderful!).  I am not a dreamer, so I love that I am learning a little more about this fun way of thinking... and maybe I can adopt a little more of it myself, if I am lucky.

Jonas is constantly talking about his "strong gum", or "green power that is like soup" (shoots from his hands and makes things grow), his blue horse with a blue nose, or his ten blue dogs (yes, blue is his favorite).  He jumps around the house envisioning he is on 'Wipeout' (yeah, I think we know where he gets that dream...) to earn $13, or battling a dragon that shoots fire and water.  He's adorable.

Sometimes I wonder why some of us are built to dream like my little Jonas, and some of us are built to worry (like his mother).  Can we change how we inherently think?  I am so much like my grandmother who continued to worry about everyone under her wings to her dying day (which really has blessed us all, but was definitely a heavy thing for her to carry).  But her daughter, Aunt Ali, can let go of things out of her control with a shrug and be off to something more productive.  I don't want to be a worry-er.  But I guess I don't know how to NOT be a worry-er.  How do you shut off the same thing that motivates you to serve others, be reliable, clean the house, get paperwork and policies done, pay bills, avoid debt, and foresee problems- thus evading a lot of trouble?  But on the reverse side- I cross a million bridges we may never come to, just in an effort to be prepared.

Sometimes it is plain exhausting.



He gets so lost in thought in the bathroom... usually about the way things work: toilets and pipes, bones and muscles, etc


He and Ali are so cute together. She loves to run up and hug him. 

It is hard to tell from this angle, but Ali is getting close to Jonas' height.   I get asked a lot these days if they are twins.

I know a lot of people don't read this, especially since I keep this new blog address pretty quiet, but I really would love to know how you mellow your worry-er side.  Mine's gotten a LOT larger since having children-- and some days it drives me plain nuts.

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely a worrier, but I will say that Jeremy has mellowed me out a lot. I think I am learning how to focus more on relationships with others (which is basically why we are here), and focus less on my "things to do" list. Not forget my list, but just prioritize my thinking differently. I am also trying really hard to have more faith and just let things go that I really need to let go. This has really helped me feel more balanced lately.
    I do think that we can change the way we think and act when we learn how to rely on Heavenly Father and His complete understanding of our potential, which will be a lifelong process and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, aren't dreamers a real heaven-send to us worriers? Jonas is such a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete